Monday, April 20, 2009

School of Communication Arts Director has been named to the Triangle Business Journal’s Women in Business Award for 2007.












“In high school they told me I wasn’t college material. Today, I’m Director of a college I helped found.”

School of Communication Arts Director has been named to the Triangle Business Journal’s Women in Business Award for 2007.Ms. Hooper is one of the founding members of the Raleigh, North Carolina school that she now heads.

“One of my advisors in high school told me that I wasn’t college material. I sure wish she could see me now. You see, I am always up to finding an answer to any challenge. This is what we do every day here at the School of Communications Arts. We train dedicated, serious students to break in to good jobs. They meet all kinds of challenges. For example, one of our grads not only worked on the latest Academy Award winning animation feature, but has gone on to work on other major productions. This is not unusual.”

"I am writing on behalf of Kaye Lloyd Gattis, Pat Godwin Long, and myself to collectively recommend with highest praise Debra Ann Hooper for your consideration when selecting this years 25 women who have proven themselves to be dynamic leaders." - Kelli Moore Barham

History of accomplishment
North Carolina native and School of Communication Arts co-founder, Debra Ann Hooper, officially opened the School of Communication Arts in Raleigh in 1992. She has served as the School’s Director and Vice President since the beginning. The school thrived under Debra’s signal leadership, and because of its growth, the School opened its new campus in October of 2003 in the Wakefield area of North Raleigh. The “School of Communication Arts @ Digital Circus” was recently named “one of the Seven Wonders of the Triangle “ by the Raleigh News & Observer. A tribute given to an institution of higher education was made possible because of the dedication of our candidate’s career, and to the students under her watch.

Career Goal
The School is one of a handful of schools on the East Coast offering programs known for excellence in the Digital Arts Community. From its unique monolithic domes to its long-standing commitment to delivering a “Higher Digital Education,” the School attracts a diverse student population, including many international students. Ms. Hooper has hand picked the cream of the crop, and, therefore, the school boasts some of the best talent in the Digital Animation, Digital Media, Digital Filmmaking, and Digital Audio Production industries. She has also recruited a diverse faculty to enhance students understanding across programs. School faculty hail from Argentina, Puerto Rico, China, Hungary, France, California, Florida, New York, etc.

Here are just a few questions that were asked to Ms. Hooper during her nomination:

Please describe your business.
I am the Director and Vice President of the School of Communication Arts @ Digital Circus. The School is one of a handful of schools on the East Coast offering programs known for excellence in the Digital Arts Community. From its unique monolithic domes to its long-standing commitment to delivering a “Higher Digital Education,” the School attracts a diverse student population, including many international students. I have handpicked the “cream of the crop” faculty, and therefore, the School boasts some of the best talent in the Digital Arts, Animation, Filmmaking and Audio Production industry.

Where is your business located?
The School is located at 3000 Wakefield Crossing Drive in the beautiful Wakefield Community of Raleigh, NC.

PROFESSIONAL
What is the most difficult aspect of your job?
The most difficult, but also the most rewarding, is continually providing positive motivation for not only my students, but the very talented faculty and staff that I work with every day.

What is the most enjoyable part of your job?
The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the students graduate and knowing that I have been a major part of their success. Many of our graduates have gone to work in our “backyard” at local Triangle Area companies including Redstorm Entertainment, Epic Games, Virtual Heroes, SAS Institute, Rockett, Burkhead & Winslow, Research Triangle Institute, Trailblazer Studios, IBM, Blue Cross Blue Shield and the Carolina Hurricanes.

I also greatly enjoy traveling all over the country, meeting with company executives, art directors and trainers; this has afforded many of my graduates a “foot in the door” opportunity. I have pushed hard to help place our graduates at some of the most well known studios and agencies in the industry such as: Electronic Arts, the World’s largest video game company, Industrial, Light & Magic of George Lucas “Star Wars” fame, their latest project being the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series, The Walt Disney Company, PIXAR, Blue Sky Studios, Digital Domain, DreamWorks, Clix 3X, producers of commercials for Nike, MTV and Burger King and Big Idea, the “Veggie Tales” creators. With many long time associates in the industry, I will often pick up the phone to personally recommend one of our graduates to a world renowned studio or production house.

What accomplishments are you most proud of?
The School of Communication Arts was the first college of its kind not just in the Raleigh area, but the entire region. I was a Founding member from its inception. Watching us grow into a nationally recognized training facility has been a source of great personal accomplishment for me. Also, witnessing an increasing number of women going into the traditionally male dominated fields of animation, filmmaking and audio production is a rewarding experience for me.

What was your best career decision?
By far, my best career decision was to open the School of Communication Arts with my business partner of 25 years, Roger Klietz. In 1992, we opened the School with five students and today we have over 350 students from all parts of the world. What was the career decision you most regret? I regret not returning to this area sooner than I did. This region is home to me and I love being a part of its growth.

What motivates you?
My source of motivation is seeing our students graduate from the School and their overwhelming excitement when they are hired by such companies as Industrial Light & Magic, The Walt Disney Company, Epic Games, PIXAR, Research Triangle Institute, Electronic Arts, SAS Institute, IBM, DreamWorks, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Clix 3X, Blue Sky Studios, Redstorm Entertainment or Duke University.

Who has been the most influential person in your career?
My father was an incredible business person. He taught me that I could do anything I wanted to and to never give up. He always made me feel that I was smart and talented and that I should never give up on reaching my goals. He always treated other people kindly and with respect and I’ve tried to follow his example in my business dealings as well as in my personal life.

What is the best career advice you've been given?
There is a place and there is a need for a hard-working, determined woman in whatever field you desire to be in. Don’t hesitate to jump into an arena that is new to you! Fiftteen years ago … To continue to lead the School of Communication Arts in the “cutting edge” of development in the exciting arenas of digital arts, animation, filmmaking and audio production.

Fifteen years ago, I realized my dream of opening a Digital Arts School. Today, my two major goals are to expand the campus facilities by an additional 60 percent to accommodate training in three new disciplines: medical, dental and veterinarian technician and to expand our existing programs to include Bachelor degrees. Don’t miss the Creativity Mini Seminars At the Campus HD theater Continue reading below to know more about Ms. Hooper...

What is your strategy for balancing your professional and personal/family responsibilities?
I am extremely close to my mother, brother and sisters. We talk almost daily and certainly weekly. My family is the most important thing to me and they are always encouraging of my work with my School and I encourage them in their professional endeavors as well. My family and friends attend our School’s functions as guests when they are in town and they share in my pride in the School’s accomplishments.

Who are you mentoring and how?
I am actively involved with 350 students on a daily basis. I mentor every day. Having worked in the industry that we train in, I am able to share with my students the wonderful life this industry has provided me and can provide them. I have been fortunate to have visited many famous companies such as: PIXAR, Disney, Blue Sky Studios, Rhythm & Hues, Sony Imageworks, Digital Domain and Industrial Light & Magic. I love sharing these experiences with my students. One of my fondest memories I often share with my students is when I was given a personal tour of the private library of George Lucas and had lunch at SkyWalker Ranch. SkyWalker Ranch is the workplace of Film Director and Producer George Lucas of “Star Wars” fame.

The name ….. Debra Ann Hooper. What does winning this award mean to you?
I’m thrilled and honored and still can’t believe that my name will be listed with such successful women business leaders that are being honored this year and in previous years.
--------------------------
Debra A Hooper
Vice President/Director
School of Communication Arts
@ Digital Circus

No comments:

Post a Comment